Capture One 10 Pro.

Do any of you have experience with Capture One 10 Pro?

I’m eager to start processing RAW files off the D850 and since Lightroom hasn’t been updated yet I was wondering if this was the perfect excuse to say goodbye to Adobe (so far, I’ve resisted their subscription model).

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Advertisements

20 thoughts on “Capture One 10 Pro.

1. Gage Caudell says:

What would you like to know? I’ve been using it for 2-3 years now and find it is far superior to lightroom. Definitely learning curve though. I believe it generates better colors and sharpness.

I still use Lightroom though for my library. I have a process I go through every single time. If you or someone every wants to know my process let me know? I’m very OCD about my organization and back-up of all my images.

gage

• Thanks Gage! I was hoping you would provide some input since I know you use Capture One.

I’m seeking some information regarding “usability”. My needs are simple, in that I want a RAW converter that is able to make quick adjustments for recovering highlights, lifting shadows, sharpening, etc. Ideally, I would want the ability to do these adjustments not just globally (to the entire image) but also locally (to portions of it).

2. Sean says:

Peter,
    You should have no problems in achieving what you want to do using Capture One 10 Pro. It’s idiosyncracries demand a learning curve, which is not insurmountable, but final images do sing once the magic has worked. Capture One 10 Pro is a very competent program for processing images. Trawl through my work on a popular image site under Hewlbane, for working examples.
    Regards Sean

3. Gage Caudell says:

Peter,

Everything you requested in your reply too me is easily possible in Capture One. Capture One has a local adjustments column that allows for nondestructive adjustments to specific areas. I would suggest going to YouTube and looking up capture one and you can fine many videos produced by Phase One on how to use there software.

As Sean said, there is a learning curve. It is very very good at recovering highlights and shadows (much better than Lightroom). It’s also good at adjusting colors. It doesn’t have a clone feature like Lightroom but dust have a dust removal that is very good. I find if you really need to use clone tool, Photoshop is still far superior than any other program I have used.

Last, if you go to Phase One’s website, they have a blog that also has information on how to use Capture One.

Gage

• Thank you Gage! I’m just playing with the trial version and it looks pretty intuitive. I hate having to make changes to software (or any gear) because my output usually suffers for a while, but I’m in the process of updating an 8 year old iMac (which was limping along even before I got the D850), so I might as well reassess my software.

4. Luiz Paulo says:

I’ve been using CaptureOne since version 3. It’s great! Way better than lightroom for sharpness and details as been told. My tip is to decrease the amount of color and luminance noise reducion like half the software sugests — the default value is too high in my opinion.

5. my favorite RAW converter since it came bundled with my M8 …works great on my Nikon’s though they are older cameras …love its interface & excellent skin/color/tone controls …does focal adjustments quite well …the filing system takes some getting used to as it is unique

6. David says:

It works better with some cameras than others. I use it for Phase One but find Leica products aren’t so great with it. I much prefer the way Lightroom handles the M9, the colour just always looked a little off and the sharpening is a bit rough for my liking (even on lower and more natural settings). Not the case for Phase One and Canon looked pretty good too. Also, for high volume every day use I much prefer the catalogue of Lightroom. But, perhaps if I changed the way I did things, it would perhaps be ok. I would certainly recommend downloading the 30 day trial and testing it thoroughly for yourself before purchase. Actually, for pure colour alone it was Apple Aperture that worked the best with the M9, noticeably better, much cleaner. Aperture of course died a death, and the UI was clunky and terrible.

7. PhotoMatrix says:

Hi Peter, just in case you want to stay with Lightroom, you can also use the free Adobe DNG converter to convert your D850 files to DNG and then you can process them in lightroom. The latest version of the DNG converted works with the D850 files.

8. Jason Timmis says:

Hello Peter.

It’s been a long time since I have been past your site and thought I should chime in on this post. Like Luiz I have been using Capture One since the early days. I find that for Nikon & Leica it handles both JPG and Raw much closer to what I want upon initial download so I have been a very happy user. It is definitely better at massaging colour than Lightroom (though I haven’t updated mine since 4.X) but I did find it at little less intuitive to use at first. I find it unfortunate that the shadow and highlight adjustments only allow increase, not (also) decrease like LR so you have to make a curves adjustment to accomplish it instead. Cap One also does not allow you to make a copy of your download at the same time like LR which is a feature I liked for the ‘important’ ones.

Also, without opening the can of worms discussing specific cameras, I also have found that Nikon has really dialed in their colour and specifically the white balance (for my taste) in the latest generation of cameras. So much so that I am totally confident shooting JPG. Once I took the time to learn what settings to use – in the camera – for what type of shooting I was doing I get, as you say, 95 to 100% of what I want straight out of camera (which is of course, actually straight out of software). I have been so happy with my latest Nikon that I am starting the inner debate as to whether I can justify all my Leica gear sitting on the shelf!

All the best,
    Jason.

• Jason, that’s very helpful – thank you. I didn’t realize that you can’t decrease shadows and highlights directly in C1… that’s something I’d want to be able to do without curves though I’m sure I would learn to live with it.

The reality, however, is that I may just stick with the JPGs since they are excellent to begin with and get me closer to where I want to ultimately be.

9. Chris D says:

Hello Peter: Initially, my biggest fear in migratng to C1 from LR was the navigaing the different menu’s. Proessing 500+ files might have been a 2 day affair, instead of a few hours! There is a “migration-workflow” of C1 menu designs that helps tremedously. Now, I use C1Pro almost exclusively for my images’ processing. Here’s a link to the migration article from the Phase One blog. https://blog.phaseone.com/fast-track-guide-lightroom-capture-one-pro/ Should help immensely.