Chasing the ball, revisited [2].

It’s not easy nailing this kind of close-range shot at f/1.4 with a manual focus rangefinder camera, but when I’m successful, it’s always worth it.

In this case, there is a problem with the image in that the horizon is not level (a photographic “no-no“, most of the time), and fixing this will result in her foot being cut off at the bottom edge of the frame (a bigger photographic “no-no“).

I’ve therefore decided to keep things as they are… hopefully the viewer will think that I meant to shoot it this way — intentionally slanting the image so that it takes on a more dynamic look. ;)

[Incidentally, the other Chasing the Ball images may be found here, here, and within this article about using the M9 for sports here.]

↑Leica M9 and Leica 50mm Summilux @ f/1.4.

6 thoughts on “Chasing the ball, revisited [2].

1. jasonehowe says:

I’ve yet to try the M9 for sports but I can appreciate the skill and patience required to capture these images. I recall reading your “Leica M9 for Sports” post on Steve’s site when I was just starting to consider a move to the rangefinder system, it helped me make my decision.

Now I’m just over a year with the M9 and for me it has been a revelation, I’m just pleased I had seen your work back then.

Photographic rules are there to be broken, the horizon is dynamic, one gets the feeling of being on the pitch and in the game!!

Keep up the great work.

All the best my friend.

Jason

Jason, I’ve seen your work so that sort of comment from you means a lot to me – more than I can convey really. If I had any small part in inspiring you, then just know that many of your subsequent images have inspired me.

By the way, congratulations on your latest LFI Master Shot, “Lake Placid”.

2. John Parkyn says:

THere is something “good” (powerful) in having the subject vertical.

Also, there are thousands of soccer fields around the world that are not level.

“THere is something “good” (powerful) in having the subject vertical.”

Indeed. When photographing people, the emphasis should be on the subject, not the background. Now, if I had been presenting a landscape shot…

Thanks John,

Peter.

3. Jeffrey Dam says:

It’s almost if she must do an extra effort to “climb the hill”. It makes it dynamic, but after all it’s the memory which you want to keep alive!
    I like it, if that counts for you ;-)

Regards Jeffrey

I believe the incline works too, but I wanted to come clean on how it came to be, and to take the opportunity to turn it into a “teaching point”.

And as for you liking it – that’s always nice to hear :).