The jaunt.

Capturing a walker/jogger/runner in mid-stride is always desirable, as it adds a dynamic component to the image, and it opens up the figure for a more pleasing composition.

In this case, when I zoom in, I can see that both of his feet are off the ground… this serves no real purpose (for this particular image), but it’s an example of the sort of “freezing” of time that photography does so well.

(please click on the image to view)

↑Leica M9 and Leica 50mm Summicron @ f/2.

7 thoughts on “The jaunt.

1. John Parkyn says:

Peter,

I notice that many of your pictures on sports fields present a clear, well-defined, well -lit main (frontal or intermediate) character, but that the background is over lit / blown out.

Is the rear over brightness the cost of getting the main (frontal / intermediate) character spot on?

In other words, is it optically impossible, even desirable, to have definition front, mid, and rear?

To put it yet another way, is is sometimes desirable to have the rear blown out in order that the mid/frontal area be well defined?

John

2. John Parkyn says:

By extension, I wonder if a dark, highly shadowed background is the price that one sometimes has to pay to get the desired light in the mid / frontal area.

This is an important question for me because I would attempt to neutralize exceedingly light and dark area… Perhaps I shouldn’t!

Hi John,

Those are good questions. In fact, they’re so good that I will do a separate “Q&A” post to address them.

The short answer is: “Yes”… to all of your questions.

Cheers,

Peter.

3. Jeroen says:

Great question John! Personally I like the blow out background in this image.

Thank you Peter for this teaching point!

4. agplatt says:

Interested in hearing your response as well.

Incidentally, nice to see you using your 50 cron. It’s been my favorite lens for a few months now.

Thanks Guy,

I’ve really learned to appreciate the 50 ‘cron. I shot an image with it yesterday and was very pleased with how it handled the light.

I’ll get to the Q&A post re: John’ s question in due time.

Thanks again.