My images selected by Getty Images!

I just learned that Getty Images, the well-known distributor of digital content, is interested in approximately 40 of my images!

So far, only three of them have been formally accepted.  Most of my images involve people, which means I need to obtain signed model release forms before formal acceptance of the rest is granted.

However, I’m not sure that I want to go through the trouble, and I have some genuine reservations about “signing away” my images for (potential) royalties.

Do any of you have thoughts about this?

In the meantime, if you want to see the Prosophos images that are available for license on Getty Images, please click here.

The first two images are reproduced below:

(please click on each image to view)

↑Leica M8 and Leica 28mm Elmarit ASPH @ f/2.8.

↑Leica M9 and Leica 28mm Summicron @ f/2.

Thanks,

13 thoughts on “My images selected by Getty Images!

1. nickolas says:

peter,

why bother? without knowing what the royalty fees are, i am guessing they are peanuts. your photos deserve to be displayed in exhibitions and books.

Thanks Nickolas, especially since you’re the only person to have responded. I appreciate what you’re saying, and am genuinely flattered, but exhibitions and books related to photography seem to be a rarity these days. At least, I haven’t had any of those types of offers come my way in Toronto…

It’s unfortunate, because that would be my preferred route vs. licensing for commercial purposes.

2. greg g49 says:

I agree with Nickolas about the nature of display that “should” apply to your work. But you’ll probably need to work at that.

The thing I don’t know is if getting Getty to use some of your images (I you will still get credit, right?) might attract the attention of someone that might lead to a another, better outlet.

Let me just say that if I was an agent or gallery owner, I’d be happy to represent your images. It would be really interesting to see some printed. Might you even represent a selection of them for sale on the blog?

Peter, your images invariable make the viewer feel positive, better than before they saw them. GOT to be a market for that. If you want to get them out there, I have to think the quality to support that effort is there. Personally, I’d make the effort with Getty as a next step in the journey; an act of embarking, not arriving.

A VERY thoughtful set of comments Greg… I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I guess by allowing three of my images to be represented by Getty, I should get a taste of what that means, practically speaking. So I’ll hold off doing anything further and wait to see what happens next with said three images…

As for selling some of my images directly from this blog, I’m open to that. In fact, when I initially set up my site, I made a few images available for purchase as prints, but there was little interest (although the viewership at the time was limited). Maybe I should revisit that.

Ideally, I would like to have some of the images up in a gallery, appreciated by lovers of photography.

(By the way, if there are any gallery owners out there who might be interested in displaying my work… that would be great :).)

Thanks again Greg,

Peter.

3. jasonehowe says:

Hi Peter

I have a handful of images with Getty, they have been for around 12 months, in addition to that I have quite a few more that they have expressed an interest in but that I have not registered. There is nothing wrong with Getty, but there is a saying “Horses for courses”.

I’ll elaborate, if your just producing “Stock Photography” and lots of it then Getty is a good route, your work however is worthy of so more and I concur with what has already been said. This site now has a lot of exposure, as does your photography, anyone interested in your images will find you and you’ll be better placed to benefit from it if you retain the rights to it.

Just my thoughts…

Jason

4. Nickolas says:

Photography has always had a hard time getting exposure. I remember years back seeing an exhibit of Kertesz at the Art Institute of Chicago that was relegated to a gallery in the basement. Also, the guy who found all of Vivian Meier’s negatives had a hard time finding places to host exhibits. I guess the Internet is the new gallery. For what it’s worth Peter, I can honestly say that I have enjoyed checking out your photos as much, or more, than any exhibit I have seen in a traditional gallery. No less significant, just different.

Well, for what it’s worth Nickolas, you’ve made my week. Thank you for that.

I agree about your thoughts on photography and about the level of appreciation having always been on the low side. The digital age has further diluted things, I believe, but — as you point out — the internet is acting as an alternate “gallery” for photographers. On the whole, the ability to potentially showcase your work to the rest of the world with a click of a button is a good thing.

5. eugekev says:

Got this offer as well. Went through some of the initial paperwork but then had some questions about payment and never received a good answer from the service via email. I ended up letting things lapse.

Will be interested to hear what your final thoughts are.
    Kevin

6. jasonehowe says:

I had a Getty experience yesterday – http://aperturepriority.co.nz/2012/04/26/a-funny-thing-happened-today/ then I remembered your post this morning, what are your current thoughts on this? Cheers Jason

Hi Jason!

I read your post – how amusing! And, congratulations!

To answer your question, I ended up licensing only two of my images. I didn’t want to give the rights away to many of the others, and I thought it would be wise to adopt a “wait and see” approach for the rest.

Peter.

7. [...] Back in April, I mentioned that Getty Images, the well-known distributor of image content, was interested in about 40 of my images. [...]