The lion, and the Christmas tree.

Doesn’t really make much sense.

(please click on the image to view)

↑Leica M9 and Leica 50mm Noctilux f/1.0 @ f/1.0.

7 thoughts on “The lion, and the Christmas tree.

1. Guy Platt says:

The title is an appropriate as any other. Great image as well. I thought the Noct was gone?

You really have been prolific with your postings. How have you managed to do anything else.

Hi Guy, thanks. It is gone, this is one of the last images taken with it.

You’re right, I’ve been devoting a considerable amount of time adding to the site – I’ll keep posting images but may slow down writing articles. Who knows? It’s a labour of love. Thanks again.

2. Guy Platt says:

By the way, maybe a good time to write a post processing article (to fill the long winter nights).

3. Jason Howe says:

Another wonderful image Peter, I probably have a couple of lenses I should part with but I seem unable to do it………..I may have to “settle” (if thats the right word) for the Noct until I can get my hands on the Hex as I can see it taking some time to acquire. I think the profile of the Hex is increasing all the time on the back of the superb images posted by yourself and Yanick. Just in relation to Guy’s last comment, I think lots of us consider our post processing to be quite personal, I certainly do, but I would be really interested to hear more from you on that. Cheers Jason

Thanks Jason. “Settling” on the Noct is not a bad state of being!…

Regarding your comment on post-processing: it is, in actuality, our uniquely personal final interpretation (in a series of interpretations), along the path to image creation.

My post processing, thus far, has been ever evolving. And I don’t apply a template to each image, as I let every image (and the content within) dictate the final look. So, it would be difficult to write a “how to” piece on the entire process. I could try, of course, so maybe I should give it some more thought….

The real question though, is whether I should be. Whether I should be sharing such a personal thing.

• Jason Howe says:

I couldn’t agree more with your comments.

I think what one finds pleasing to the eye today will not necessarily be the case tomorrow and there is a constant evolvement in personal taste, albeit that evolution may be quite a subtle and protracted process.

If I were to draw on my own personal experiences, my processing has reduced drastically since I took ownership of the M9 and in general over the last 12 months. Indeed I would say that more often than not, less is most definitely more.

I don’t think anyone would expect you to be specific about processing, but I’m certain you would be able to produce a post of interest in your eloquent and articulate style.

Cheers

Jason

A very thoughtful post Jason. I know I could write an entire book on post-processing, even though I have no experience with conventional programs like PhotoShop, for example. Most of my post processing involves adjusting contrast, sharpness, colour, selective lightening or darkening, and applying various plug-ins (that also are manipulated to a different standard than the software developer’s default settings). Most of this stuff is guided by artistic (for lack of a better word) considerations.

And, as I’ve gotten older, I’ve more and more controlled for many of the parameters at the time the photo is being shot, because I know some things just can’t be recovered or changed during the post-processing process.